Dizzee Rascal and Corrine Bailey Rae have been shortlisted for the 2010 Barclay’s Mercury Prize. This is Dizzee’s third nomination, he won back in 2003 with his gritty, Wiley-produced debut album, ‘Boy In Da Corner’. The win was a huge stepping stone for the Bow MC, catapulting him into the mainstream and seven years later he’s now one of the biggest contemporary artists in the UK…
The prestigious Mercury Prize is viewed as the alternative to commercial award ceremonies such as the BRITs. And although winners receive £20,000, artists are normally just happy with the acknowledgment, rather than the prize money, as it’s such a respected award.
The nominees were announced yesterday by radio DJ Lauren Lavern and are as follows:
• Biffy Clyro – Only Revolutions
• We Are Villagers – Becoming A Jackal
• Corrine Bailey Rae – The Sea
• Mumford and Sons – Sign No More
• Paul Weller – Wake Up The Nation
• Wild Beasts – To Dancers
• Kit Downes Trio – Golden
• Laura Marling – I Speak Because I Can
• Dizzee Rascal – Tongue N’ Cheek
• Foals – Total Life Forever
• I Am Kloot – Sky at Night
• The xx – xx
The winner will be announced by Jools Holland on September 7.